The WEPO Mentor position is an outstanding opportunity for any upper-level woman engineering student interested in gaining leadership experience and skills, and enhancing her professional marketability. Each WEPO Mentor represents Penn State and leads a group of 5-6 participants. She serves as a year-long resource and conveys information to new students and their families about Penn State, WEP Programs, and student services. Mentors play a vital role in facilitating the adjustment of new engineering students to higher education and to the Penn State community.
- Arrive one day pre-WEPO, for training
- Contact mentees (“WEPO-teers”) at least three times during the summer before WEPO
- Lead discussion groups and activities with incoming students
- Participate in all orientation activities
- Serve as a role model illustrating how to take advantage of academic opportunities and how to make good social decisions
- Acquaint new students with campus services and building locations
- Reside in the hotel with staff and students during 3-day orientation
- Facilitate discussion with industry guests and “WEPO-teers” at assigned Career Dinner table
- Stay with your team throughout the design project and computer workshop as a resource
- Attend monthly WEP meetings throughout the academic year
- Maintain contact with students during their ENTIRE first academic year!
- $300.00 Leadership Scholarship awarded to your student account
- Orientation lodging provided at the Atherton Hotel during WEPO
- All meals and snacks provided during pre-orientation meetings and orientation program
- Optional early move-in to campus dorms
- Two WEPO T-shirts and WEP polo shirt
- Completed application, résumé, and one reference typically due in early February
- Applicants must attend a 20-minute interview on a date to be mutually determined. (Interview can be conducted by telephone for co-op students.)
Please contact Cheryl Knobloch at the Women in Engineering Program Office, 208 Hammond Building, by phone at 814-865-6311, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.